On February 9, 2011, the Department of Commerce and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) released complementary draft national aquaculture policies. The public is invited to comment on both draft policies for the next 60 days.
According to the announcement:
- Aquaculture plays a significant and growing role in global food production
- Nearly half the fish consumed by people is produced by aquaculture
- A significant portion of future increases in the global seafood supply will come from aquaculture products.
- The domestic aquaculture industry supplies only about 5 percent of the seafood Americans consume.
The draft Commerce Department policy supports the development of sustainable aquaculture within the context of the key Commerce goals of encouraging economic growth and employment opportunities in the United States.
Commerce and NOAA are accepting comments on the draft policies through April 11. Directions for submitting comments online are at http://aquaculture.noaa.gov.
Comments also may be submitted:
* By fax to 301-713-9108 (Attn: Susan Bunsick)
* By mail to:
NOAA Aquaculture Program
Attn: Public Comment
1315 East West Highway
SSMC3, Mail Code: F
13th Floor, Room 13152
Silver Spring, MD 20910
After the submitted comments have been reviewed, Commerce and NOAA will issue final national aquaculture policies.
source: NOAA press release