Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Status of Stocks 2018 Report (NOAA)


Winter Flounder

In August, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) released the 2018 Status of U.S. Fisheries Annual Report to Congress, that details the status of 479 managed stocks or stock complexes in the U.S. to identify which stocks are subject to overfishing, are overfished, or are rebuilt to sustainable levels.

The report notes that the vast majority of U.S. fish stocks were at sustainable population levels in 2018, and the number of U.S. fish stocks subject to overfishing remains at a near all-time low..

The report also documents a newly-rebuilt stock, smooth skate in the Gulf of Maine. This brings the total number of rebuilt U.S. marine fish stocks to 45 since the year 2000

A stock is on the overfishing list when the harvest rate of that species is too high. Of 321 stocks with known status, 293 (91%) are not subject to overfishing. The remaining 28 stocks (9%) are subject to overfishing..

Seven stocks were removed from the overfishing list, and five were added in 2018. As required under the Magnuson-Stevens Act (the U.S. ocean fisheries law), NOAA Fisheries works with regional fishery management councils and other partners to implement measures to immediately end overfishing.

A stock is on the overfished list when the population size of a stock is too low, whether because of fishing or other causes, such as environmental changes..

Of 244 stocks with known status, 201 (or 82%) are not overfished, leaving 43 stocks (18%) listed as overfished. No stocks were removed from the overfished list in 2018, but eight were added.

For more information, visit: https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/media-release/number-us-fish-stocks-sustainable-levels-remains-near-record-high

source: NOAA Fisheries

Wednesday, November 7, 2018

International Year of the Salmon 2019

pacific salmon
A coalition of organizations have declared 2019 as the International Year of the Salmon (IYS).

The International Year of the Salmon is an initiative to inform and stimulate outreach and research that aspires to establish the conditions necessary to ensure the resilience of salmon and people throughout the Northern Hemisphere.

IYS seeks to protect salmon by bringing countries together to share knowledge, raise public awareness and take action.

The extraordinary life histories of salmon in the Northern Hemisphere exposes them to many environmental and human-caused factors influencing their health and abundance.

IYS events are intended to raise awareness of what humans can do to ensure salmon and their habitats are conserved and restored.

There was an opening ceremony for the International Year of the Salmon at the Global Fishery Forum & Seafood Expo 2018.

The IYS North Pacific Opening Event was held at Jack Poole Plaza in downtown Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Hosted by the North Pacific Anadromous Fish Commission (NPAFC) and the Pacific Salmon Foundation, the event drew an audience of media and over 100 leaders in salmon conservation from government, Indigenous groups, NGOs, academia, and industry from around the Pacific Rim.

Sunday, February 18, 2018

Seafood Expo North America/Seafood Processing North America

Seafood Expo North America/Seafood Processing North America
Boston Convention Center
March 11-13, 2018

Seafood Expo North America/Seafood Processing North America is North America’s largest seafood trade exposition. The exposition features over 1,340 exhibiting companies from more than 50 countries.

Seafood Expo North America/Seafood Processing North America features fresh and frozen fish and seafood, value added products, processed and packaged fish and seafood, processing and packaging equipment, freight forwarders, logistical services, seafood-industry service providers, and more.

A New Product Showcase will feature the latest seafood products available in North America. Seafood Excellence Awards will recognize the best new products.

Conferences will discuss industry issues, new regulations, innovations, and trends. Attendees include owners, proprietors, executive purchasing managers, category managers, private label program buyers and equipment and packaging buyers from retail, foodservice, and other business categories.

For more infornation, visit" www.seafoodexpo.com/north-america/

Sunday, April 30, 2017

World Tuna Day

In a 2016 resolution of the United Nations (U.N.) General Assembly, May 2nd was designated World Tuna Day.

The organization "Invites all Member States, organizations of the United Nations system, other international and regional organizations and civil society, including non-governmental organizations, to observe World Tuna Day in an appropriate manner and in accordance with national priorities, in order to raise awareness of the value of tuna, the threats facing tuna populations and the economic and social benefits of sustainably managed tuna stocks, and to share best practices in this regard;"

Monday, November 21, 2016

What is World Fisheries Day?

World Fisheries Day is celebrated each year on November 21 by fishing communities worldwide.

World Fisheries Day events include rallies, workshops, public meetings, cultural programs, dramas, exhibition, music show, demonstrations, and other activities.

Related Information

National – International Days – Weeks – Months

North American Commercial Fisheries